Life Coaching is a comprehensive process that may involve all areas of life including work, finances, health, relationships, education and recreation. Life Coaching helps discover, clarify and align what you want to achieve for yourself, encourages self-discovery, along with creating solutions and strategies you can generate with some assistance.
Coaching aims to increase the individual’s sense of their own well-being. Through coaching and supportive accountability, you can make more informed choices and move into your desired action in order to complete your dreams and goals.
Psychotherapists employ a range of techniques based on experiential relationship building, dialogue, communication, behavior changes that are designed to improve the mental health of a client, or to improve family and group relationships.
Psychotherapy may be performed by practitioners with a number of different qualifications, including psychiatry, mental health counseling, clinical or psychiatric social work marriage and family therapy music therapy, drama therapy, occupational therapy psychiatric nursing and other forms of psychotherapy.
There are a variety of approaches within the coaching methodology. Coaching is performed with individuals and groups, in person, over the phone and online.
Confidentiality is one of the most important components between a client and coach. Successful coaching requires trust from both parties.
Every coach should provide a written copy of their confidential disclosure agreement, and you can expect that what you discuss in session will not be shared with anyone. This is called “Informed Consent.”
The law protects the relationship between a client and a psychotherapist, and information cannot be disclosed without written permission.
Suspected child abuse or dependent adult or elder abuse, for which I am required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, I must notify the police and inform the intended victim.
If a client intends to harm himself or herself, I will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in ensuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, I will take further measures without their permission that are provided to me by law in order to ensure their safety.
Everyone goes through challenging situations in life, and while you may have successfully navigated through other difficulties you’ve faced, there’s nothing wrong with seeking out extra support when you need it.
Coaching is for people who have enough self-awareness to realize they need a helping hand, and that is something to be admired. You are taking responsibility by accepting where you’re at in life and making a commitment to change the situation by seeking coaching.
Coaching provides long-lasting benefits and support, teaches you the tools you need to avoid triggers, re-direct damaging patterns, and overcome whatever challenges you face.
People have many different motivations. Some may be going through a major life transition (unemployment, divorce, new job, etc.) or are not handling stressful circumstances well.
Some people need assistance managing a range of other issues such as low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, addictions, relationship problems, spiritual conflicts and creative blocks.
Others may be at a point where they are ready to learn more about themselves or want to be more effective in achieving their goals in life. People seeking coaching are ready to meet the challenges in their lives and make changes in their lives.
Coaching can help provide some much needed encouragement and help with skills to get them through these periods.
We work with a wide range of emotional and behavioral issues. We provide services that span from Recovery Life Coaching for Depression and Grief to Parenting Support, Group and more.
We offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each of our client’s individual needs in order to help them attain the personal growth they are striving for.
- Raising Special Needs Children
- Adolescent Intervention
- Depression and Bipolar
- Parenting Support
- Grief Support
- Work and Career issues
- Stress Management
- Addiction & Recovery Support
- Conflict Resolution
- Prison Ministry Support
- Strategic Leadership
- Group/Team Training
- Dealing with Aging Parents
- Business Principles
- Community Resources
- 12 Step Recovery Ongoing support
- Intervention and Referral Training
- Postpartum Doula Services
- Life Transitions
Every one of our coaches have been hand selected for this work by Michele.
Each of the coaches have had years of therapy: that means that they have a full understanding of their issues so that their issues don’t interrupt their ability to help you reach your highest potential.
Each coach has continued their ongoing recovery in one of the 12 step programs: that means that they have sponsors and sponsees.
They have the ongoing supervision and mentoring of Michele Downey. These are things that someone can’t go to school and learn in a few months or a few years.
Therapy and ongoing recovery in a 12 step program is an experiential process which you cannot “train” for. They are, however, trained in the art of Recovery Life Coaching and maintain active continuing education in their areas of expertise.
In addition to the training and experience, we maintain an active membership in our organization of Recovery Life Coaches. We are able to utilize the experiences of the other Recovery Life Coaches in order to assist us in being the best of what coaching can offer.
A number of benefits are available from working with a Recovery Life Coach. They can provide support, problem-solving skills, and enhanced coping strategies for issues such as depression, anxiety, relationship troubles, grief, stress management, body image issues and creative blocks.
Many people also find that coaches can be a tremendous asset to managing personal growth, interpersonal relationships, family concerns, marriage issues, and the hassles of daily life. Coaches can provide a fresh perspective on a difficult problem or point you in the direction of a solution. Some of the benefits available from coaching include:
- Attaining a better understanding of yourself, your goals and values
- Developing skills for improving your relationships
- Finding resolution to the issues or concerns that led you to seek coaching help
- Learning new ways to cope with stress and anxiety
- Managing anger, grief, depression, and other emotional pressures
- Improving communication and listening skills
- Changing old behavior patterns and developing new healthier ones
- Discovering new ways to solve problems in your family or marriage
- Improving your self-esteem and boosting self-confidence
The benefits you obtain from coaching depend on how well you use the process and put into practice what you learn.
We far exceed the requirements from The International Coaching Federation’s requirements for a Master Certified Coach (MCC)
Their requirements are:
- 200 hours of coach specific training
- 10 hours of Mentor Supervision
- Coaching log of 2500 hours of coaching experience
- Performance Evaluation with 2 audio recordings and written transcripts of coaching sessions
Michele Downey and Associates certification requirements for the Master’s level are:
- 400 hours plus 600 hours of coaching education and training
- 200 hours of documented coaching clients
- Training other Recovery Life Coaches
- Constant evaluations and guidance
- An LMFT constantly supervises the coaches and reviews each session’s documentation
- A well supervised coach is critical to the safety and success of a client
- Coaches are required to be active in a 12-Step program of recovery
- Coaches must continue to practice self-care by taking medications if prescribed by their doctor
- Coaches inventory themselves with a trusted advisor and make amends for any undesirable behavior
- Coaches must have had rigorous therapy so as to avoid counter-transference and other issues
- First hand experience with addiction and/or mood disorders
- Each of us have the experience of healing profound mental and emotional issues
- We teach life altering tools and techniques that can be used in dealing with many circumstances as life unfolds